Serbia's police searching for person who brought gallows to the Saturday protest

MUP Republke Srbije

Serbia’s police and competent prosecutor’s office will issue a search warrant for a person who was carrying gallows during the citizens’ protest Saturday evening in the capital city of Belgrade, said Interior Minister Nebojsa Stefanovic.

The minister said the police have not acted so far against those “who were expressing different stances,” but that the most recent development is something that must not be allowed.

One of the founders of the opposition bloc, the Alliance for Serbia, Dragan Djilas, condemned the incident with gallows, seen during the Belgrade protest and which, he said, was an intentional provocation.

Related news

Judging from the reaction of media outlets he labelled as “Vucic’s media” in reference to Serbia’s President Aleksandar Vucic, Djilas said it was clearly “their intention to humiliate the protest.”

The mass anti-government rallies have been taking place for the ninth weekend in a row. Although they support the citizens’ protests, the opposition parties and opposition block the Alliance for Serbia are not formal organisers of the gatherings.