Serbia's anti-epidemic Crisis Team: No new measures, WHO: Lockdown last resource

N1

Despite announcements that Serbia's Crisis Team will bring some more stringent anti-coronavirus measures after the country has recorded 512 infected people, the highest number since the outbreak of the epidemic, it decides on Thursday to only "work on better implementation of the existing ones."

„The focus is on the implementation of everything we have now… That means we won’t tolerate any violation of the measures. We’re working on a legal framework to enable sanctioning,“ Srdja Jankovic, a member of the Crisis Team said after its extraordinary meeting.

He added, „the situation is worsening, and a lot depends on us.“

Jankovic said the Team decided to implement „the usage of fast tests where it’s possible.“

Earlier on Thursday, Marijan Ivanusa, the director of the World Health Organisation (WHO) office in Serbia, told N1 that the lockdown as it was implemented in the country in March should be the last measure.

He added that specific measures in particularly hit places as Serbia did in July and August and what showed as a good move.

Ivanusa also said that 512 new cases of the coronavirus infections recorded in the country on Wednesday were a significant number and that possible new measures would have effects in two weeks.